The Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty is a leading international educational organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The Acton Institute’s mission is to promote a free and virtuous society characterized by individual liberty and sustained by religious principles (www.acton.org).
We are seeking a Staff Accountant to join Acton’s Finance Department! Qualified candidates interested in either part-time or full-time work are encouraged to apply. Acton will provide a mutually agreeable work schedule to accommodate your school schedule if needed.
As Staff Accountant you will be responsible for the following:
Accounts Payable – perform and oversee activities including:
- Process and review daily Concur Invoice submissions, coding, and approvals.
- Process and review staff reimbursements and credit card charges submitted through Concur Expense.
- Coordinate payments processed through Concur Invoice and Expense.
- Transfer of Concur data to General Ledger system.
- Preparation and annual e-filing of Forms 1099-MISC.
- Work with Acton conference planners to coordinate, account for, and process payments for reimbursements, grants and honorariums.
General Ledger and General Accounting Support
- Maintain data integration between GL system (Sage Intacct) and AP/Expense platform (Concur Expense, Concur Invoice).
- Assist with annual budget process and monthly budget meetings.
- Coordinate and monitor month end closing process including:
- Depreciation/Fixed assets updates
- Cost of goods sold for Acton Book Shop
- Prepaid expense recognition
- Rome office and affiliates
- File monthly/annual sales tax report.
- Other general accounting duties when assigned.
The Preferred Candidate for this role will have the following Skills and Qualifications:
- Support of Acton Institute’s mission and ideas
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or pursuing a degree in Accounting or Business Administration
- Non-profit accounting experience is a plus
- Knowledge of GAAP
- Strong skills in spreadsheet and word processing applications
- Attention to detail and management of deadlines
- Good communication skills and problem solving abilities
- Provide a service mentality toward all levels of staff
- Exhibit professional decorum at all times
- Ability to keep financial data and information confidential
The role requires that you are currently legally authorized to work in the USA for any employer.
This position is located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Salary is commensurate with experience and we offer a competitive benefit package to Acton employees.
Qualified candidates interested in our mission and the synthesis of free markets and morality are encouraged to apply!
To be fully considered for this opportunity, please send the following to [email protected] and address your letter and application materials to the Human Resources Department:
- A cover letter detailing your interest in the position and the mission of the Acton Institute;
- Your resume;
- Your salary history and expectations.
Incomplete applicant submissions will not be considered. While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview.