The Acton Institute is seeking a Research Fellow to join our talented Research Department, with the purpose of advancing the Acton Institute’s broad intellectual mission, particularly how core Acton principles can help address today’s technological, climatological, demographic, and environmental concerns. The Acton Institute’s scholarly research and intellectual engagement consists primarily of a refereed academic journal, academic conferences and grants, and various other publishing. The fellow in the realm of his or her specialty will contribute heavily to the goal of educating, informing, and influencing academic and policy debates that concern the foundations of a free and virtuous society. The fellow also serves as Managing Editor of the Journal of Markets and Morality, Acton’s flagship academic journal.
Key Role and Responsibilities:
- Working closely on a research agenda with the Director of Research, integrated with the Institute’s overall strategic direction
- The fellow’s primary research role is advancing Acton’s broad intellectual mission of promoting a free and virtuous society characterized by individual liberty and sustained by religious principles.
- The fellow’s secondary research role is maintaining a research agenda in his or her academic specialty, in support of the Institute’s intellectual mission
- Serving as Managing Editor of Journal of Markets & Morality, reporting to the executive editor. Duties include:
- Report to executive editor.
- Conduct initial read of submissions.
- Shepherd submissions through the peer review process, issuing bench rejections when necessary and otherwise notifying the executive editor when enough reviews are in for a decision to be made.
- Conduct initial edit of submissions.
- Coordinate with contractors for layout and graphic design.
- Consult with the executive editor about journal content.
- Occasionally write an issue editorial and/or book review.
- Compile volume index for the second issue each year.
- Participating in Acton’s podcasts and other media opportunities
- Engaging in interdisciplinary, scholarly professional development, with particular emphasis on the intersection of economics, philosophy, history, and religion
- Providing lectures in support of Acton’s mission to various constituents including (but not limited to) Acton conferences and events, staff professional development, academic conferences, and invited lectures to external constituents
- Facilitate the development of conferences targeted toward clergy and seminarians
- Develop one or more research agendas on topics related to Acton’s mission of furthering the study of the intersections between faith, freedom, ethics, and economics. The preferred candidate will be able to think deeply about and significantly contribute to current conversations about the relationship of human flourishing to the environment.
- Present or publish 2-4 academic papers per year.
- Write op-ed essays for various publications.
- Speak to general audiences about both the themes of one’s research as well as Acton’s core principles more broadly.
- Ph.D. or other terminal degree, preferably in philosophy, theology, political economy, economics, or related discipline.
- Strong record of scholarly research
- Excellent speaking and writing skills
- Ability and desire to interact with a diverse set of disciplinary and religious traditions engaging the foundations of a free and virtuous society
Additional requirements for this role:
- This position requires you to be onsite at our headquarters located in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- The role requires that you are currently legally authorized to work in the USA for any employer.
This position is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate! Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit the following application materials:
- Cover letter, which should detail your interest in Acton’s mission and this role
- Desired salary range for this opportunity
Applications should be submitted to the attention of Human Resources and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Qualified candidates who submit a complete application with all of the required materials will be considered for this position. While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this role, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview.