The Acton Institute an internationally recognized world class think tank, is housed in the new Acton Building located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan www.michigan.org  . We are situated at the corner of Fulton and Sheldon in the Heartside Community.
Acton is a non-profit educational organization and our mission is to promote a free society characterized by individual liberty and sustained by religious principles, learn more about us at www.acton.org  and www.discoveracton.org .
We are seeking a Web Coordinator to join our talented team and manage Acton’s website. This is a full time position and is located onsite at the Acton Institute.
The right candidate for this integral role will manage, design, and code websites using primarily Drupal, Wordpress, and Magento content management platforms. The Web Coordinator consults with other staff members on site design and function while keeping Acton’s constituency in mind. Other responsibilities include maintaining custom analytics dashboard displays, maintaining and improving seven mobile apps across Apple, Android, and Windows Phone devices, and designing web graphics using image editing software.
Internally, the Web Coordinator works with the Programs Department to create and analyze applications for events, lectures and other projects. Once analyzed, these applications help streamline constituent interaction between the Drupal, Wordpress, and Ruby on Rails platforms and Acton’s internal Constituent Resource Management application (Raiser’s Edge).
Major website responsibilities include the oversight and yearly update of the Acton University website, design and updates of Acton.org, design and updates for the Acton PowerBlog, and close interaction with the Acton Book Shop.
The ideal candidate must be comfortable working collaboratively and have a strong eye for design as well as a background in back end programming. A large portion of the work is front end design including HTML, CSS, and designing themes.
Utilized Skills & Technologies
- SASS and Compass
- Twitter Bootstrap
- Breakpoint and Breakpoint Slicer
- Shell Scripting
- Phusion Passenger
Processes and Other Skills
- DevOp: Deploying a website from local, to staging, to production
- Performing Backups: Shell scripting
- Commandline Tool Familiarity: Backups to Amazon S3, Linux server administration
- Familiarity with UI and UX design
- Google Analytics administration and implementation
- Google Adwords familiarity
- Familiar with Social Networking tools like Hootsuite and Youtube
- Formatting and sending weekly newsletter every Wednesday
- Familiar with DNS and domain administration and purchasing
Frameworks and Platforms
- Drupal and Symfony (for Drupal 8)
- Ruby on Rails
- Open Journal Systems
- Proficiency in both Mac OSX and Windows development environments
- Proficiency in Linux server management and security best practices, specifically Ubuntu and Slackware distributions
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Raiser’s Edge and ImportOMatic
Mobile Development Technologies
- Objective C
- Apache Cordova
Mobile Development IDEs
- Visual Studio
Preferred candidates will also possess:
- Understanding of Acton’s Mission
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- 2+ years of website development experience
- Professional decorum, business acumen, and a respectful demeanor at all times
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Superb organizational and time management skills
- Proficient Computer, Internet, technical and Social Media skills
- A team player attitude and excellent ability to work well with all staff and colleagues
- Desire to go the extra mile to see tasks and projects through
If you are motivated by this opportunity and possess the desired skill sets, we encourage you to apply for this position to join Acton’s talented and dynamic team.
To be fully considered for this position please send a cover letter, your resume, and your salary history to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Only candidates who submit a complete application with all of the required materials will be considered for this position.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview
Radio Broadcast, Assistant Producer
We are currently seeking an Assistant Producer for our Radio Broadcast team http://radio.acton.org . In this position you will play a vital role in Acton Radio Broadcast to support our Executive Producer at the Acton Institute. The ideal candidate is proficient to operate standard broadcast console, including “faders” or “pots”; will upload productions to appropriate FTP/Satellite servers or other distribution platforms; will protect any and all licenses owned by Acton Institute (FCC, music licenses, etc.), will successfully execute E-A-S tests, log transmitter readings and follow regulations and policies under the direction of the Executive Producer, with the ability to work in a fast paced, results-oriented fashion while demonstrating professional decorum at all times.
This is a part-time position and in this role you will work closely with the Executive Producer and/or Host and will work behind the scenes to perform assigned production duties, such as; recording, editing, adding “drops’, music beds, and actuarials to create a finished audio production, and other duties as assigned by the Executive Producer. This is not an “on-air” position.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- Understanding and appreciation for Acton’s mission
- High School Diploma or GED at minimum
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment with a commitment to Acton’s core principles and vision
- Prior experience in talk radio format preferred
- Experience editing and producing long-form “live to tape” audio productions
- Proficiency with digital audio and digital editing systems (Adobe Audition, Audacity)
- Proficiency with FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and call screening software (Call Commander)
- Computer proficiency and ability to use Windows and Linux-based systems and programs
- Experience working with broadcast automation systems
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills, attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Ability to handle confidential information discreetly
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit the following application materials: a cover letter detailing your interest in this role and the mission of the Acton Institute; your resume; your salary history & expectations, and apply to: email@example.com .
Only candidates who submit a complete application with all of the required materials will be considered for this position. No phone calls please.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview.