The Acton Institute an internationally recognized world class think tank, recently moved into its new home, the Acton Building located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan www.michigan.org . We are situated at the corner of Fulton and Sheldon in the Heartside Community.
Acton is a non-profit educational organization and our mission is to promote a free society characterized by individual liberty and sustained by religious principles, learn more about us at www.acton.org  and www.discoveracton.org .
Educational Event Coordinator for Acton’s Research Department
We are currently seeking an Educational Event Coordinator for our Research Department. In this position you will join a talented high performing team and play a vital role in our Research Department to support our educational conferences and events at the Acton Institute. The ideal candidate will be exceptionally organized, have excellent planning, communication and event coordination and logistics expertise, with the ability and poise to work in a fast paced, results-oriented fashion while demonstrating professional decorum at all times.
In this role you will work closely with the Research Department Program and Event Manager on the administration of Acton’s executive level international and domestic conferences, events, and programs. These include its Catholic Leadership projects, International Conference Series, Liberty Fund Co-Sponsor Conferences and Scholarship Programs.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- Understanding and appreciation for Acton’s mission.
- Values consistent with the Acton Institute.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills, attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, with a “roll-up-my-sleeves” and “can-do” attitude.
- Proper business and professional etiquette, with a warm hospitality and hosting demeanor.
- Successful relationship building skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information discreetly.
- Ability to travel and provide on-site support at events, as well as occasional weekend and evening work.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 2+ years professional experience in event or hospitality management.
Role Responsibilities include:
- Program and conference coordination, including print/web/email promotion, recruitment, registration, data gathering, data input and reporting.
- Coordinate participant and staff logistics, including air/ground transportation, lodging, food/beverage, and special needs.
- Vendor management, including working with a team to determine needs, quoting services, maintaining budget, preparing event orders, and overseeing on-site setup.
- Maintain accurate files, records and provide timely statistical reports on program performance.
- Oral and written communication with Spanish-speaking participants.
- Handle and respond to scholarship inquiries and applications.
- Track various program deadlines.
- Assist the Program and Event Manager with the planning, coordination, logistics, and execution of multiple programs.
- Assist the Director of Research if needed.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit the following application materials: a cover letter detailing your interest in the mission of the Acton Institute; your resume; your salary history & expectations, and apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org  by August 18, 2014 .
Only candidates who submit a complete application with all of the required materials will be considered for this position. No phone calls please.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview.