Kevin Schmiesing, Ph.D., is a research fellow for the research department at the Acton Institute. He is a frequent writer on Catholic social thought and economics, is the author of American Catholic Intellectuals, 1895-1955 (Edwin Mellen Press, 2002) and is most recently the author of Within the Market Strife: American Catholic Economic Thought from Rerum Novarum to Vatican II  (Lexington Books, 2004).
Dr. Schmiesing holds a Ph.D. in American history from the University of Pennsylvania , and a B.A. in history from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Author of Within the Market Strife  and American Catholic Intellectuals, 1895—1955  (2002), he serves as Book Review Editor for the Journal of Markets & Morality. He is also executive director of CatholicHistory.net .
Articles and Books by Kevin Schmiesing:
- “Another Social Justice Tradition: Catholic Conservatives,” University of St. Thomas Law Journal , Spring 2005
“Review of James Fisher, Communion of Immigrants,” Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Quarterly , Fall 2002.
- The State of Economic Education in United States Seminaries . (PDF ) 
- “The Context of Economic Personalism.” Journal of Markets & Morality. Fall 2001. ( PDF )
- Doing Justice to Justice . Acton Institute, 2002.
- “Catholic Critics of the New Deal: 'Alternative' Traditions in Catholic Social Thought,” Catholic Social Science Review , 2002.
- “Socially Responsible Investing: An Application of Catholic Social Thought”  (with Gregory Beabout), Logos , Winter 2003. ( PDF )
- “John A. Ryan and the Problem of Clerical Politics,” Journal of Church and State, Winter 2003.
Press: Download a high resolution photo .